Legal Rebels 2014
Cool. Hip. Rebels. Law?
Certainly the legal profession could never be convicted of hipsterism. But we’ve shown time and again—for six years now—that there are Legal Rebels among us. They are strivers, pushing change and rejecting the rule book to build careers, serve clients and improve access to justice.
This year we present nine highly qualified additions, rounding out our list to 100 Legal Rebels named by the Journal since 2009.
In the following pages, meet:
• A young iconoclast whose stated goal is to kill law practice as we know it.
• A lawyer who organized a food truck festival to help her serve creative entrepreneurs.
• The leader of an organization investigating groups that endanger human rights.
• A woman whose childhood experience with the ugly face of divorce led her to provide a more understanding, less fractious process.
• A man using cellphones and social media to bring access to justice to the people of Uganda.
• A judge developing a way for technology to keep people on supervised release from stumbling back into prison.
• An attorney providing e-discovery advice for criminal proceedings.
• A man whose business is making paid-for court documents available for free.
• And a lawyer who is adding available reviews, analysis and comment to Canada’s court decisions.
All together that makes for a great mix of talent and effort that is making legal practice not just different, but better, for practitioners and clients. In the following slides you will learn more about this year’s nine, and you will find full profiles as they are posted throughout September at LegalRebels.com. Online, you can add to our Box Breakers collection of novel strategies to get your creative juices flowing, see timely interviews with past Rebels, and jump into the discussion as bloggers at the New Normal discuss ways to remake the profession. Don’t miss profiles, video and audio from our 91 past Rebel honorees as well.
The future’s so bright for these change leaders, we figured they could use a little shade—in a hipster style. It’s all part of Legal Rebels 2014.
Click on the following names to view a short description of each 2014 Legal Rebel, or view the full gallery here. Full profiles of each Legal Rebel will be posted throughout September.